Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bliss

Here I am sitting at the Pleasant Valley Pit Campground once again. It was just over a year ago I was here for a rock climbing trip. I was then sleeping in my 2 man tent and cooking off a Coleman stove and drinking Fat Tire beer. Well now I cooked spaghetti on my 4 burner stove and had a Widmer Hefewizen to wash it down. Not a bad beer. Fat Tire was a bit more pricey but now I got my Safeway/Von’s saver’s card (it’s a grocery store).  For you Minnesotans, you can buy full strength beer and spirits in grocery stores out here! I took a pic  of the sunset over the snow capped mountains right before I started cooking.
Over the last week or so, Tyler (my nephew) and I went bouldering a little bit by his school. The rock looks like it has never been touched before (except by damn teenagers with their rattlecans). I put up a couple first ascents and Tyler got one also. Here is a link to the boulders. Tyler has only climbed a little indoors before and really likes climbing outside. I’ll make a climber out of him yet. OHHHHH, the other day, I was scouting for new boulders on my bike. I left the bike and started hiking around; wouldn’t you know it, a rattler starts shaking her booty at me. I’m usually one to stay and play a little but this lady was too much for me! I high-tailed it out of there right quick!
Mike and the family took me out to dinner before I left. We went to some place called BJ’s, they are known for their pizza and it tastes mighty good. It’s also a micro-brewery, and they have good beer too! My favorite was an American Pale Ale called the Piranha.
I left this morning just before noon and couldn’t stop smiling. I finally have weaned myself off the teat of other’s and am going to live all by myself for the first time! The drive up was quite nice for scenery but of course, I had a headwind and gained about 3000 feet in elevation on the trip. So, that sucked down the gas (which cost 4.15, highest I saw was 4.57!) and made the truck work a little harder. I arrived here at “The Pit” around 5:30. I set up shop and plan to stay here for about two to three weeks, whenever I have to leave for job training. Until then, I’m going to enjoy the scenery, bike and climb. Try to spend as little as possible and get to know the area even more. I just can’t stop smiling. I think that’s when you know you are truly happy. I have a roof over my head, food and beer in my belly, and mountains all around. A man couldn’t ask for terribly much more. I have a neighbor dog that smelled the burger cooking tonight and we made friends. Gonna head on over to the neighbors and chat it up and have a beer here after writing this.
A few favorites of the day:
                Song: Highway to Hell – AC/DC
                Sight: Red Sunset over the snow capped mountains
                Feeling: Freedom, happiness, and excitement rolled all together
I hope someday all of you can find true happiness for awhile. It’s not possible to have it all the time, but there is no place I would rather be right now and I know it won’t go away in a week like a vacation!

P.S. - Figured I might as well add my first day off climbing on here too. I posted a sign on the bulletin board at the pit that I was looking for climbing partners. I honestly didn't think anyone would take me up on it and I could get some stuff done it town. Well a British fellow by the name of Dan came over and asked if I would like to join him and his friend Magnus (from Sweden). I scarfed down my elk chop for breakfast and joined them for a morning in the Buttermilks. I forgot how beautiful that place is. Giant boulders all around with good landings. 
 (Dan on Funky Tut (V3))
We warmed up and played around on Ironman (V4) for a bit before heading to King Tut (V3). Well I had previously got a blood blister that had popped on a first ascent in SoCal. Well needless to say it hadn't healed yet and I ripped it open for a ugly looking flapper. It ruined the rest of my day for pulling on crimps, but I did manage Cave Problem (V4) on the Grandpa Peabody. Its a low, super steep jug haul. Very cool problem.
We decided it was too hot and ran back down to the park to cool off and rest up. Then we headed into the Happies and tried Serengeti(V5).
 (Dan on Serengeti)
I couldn't get the crimp with my left hand and didn't want to try it more. Dan got the farthest but was too tired. Then some jacked kid and his girlfriend show up. The kid used to beta and just hucked to the crimp and set the damn thing like a thug with no technique. I heard him over say he was heading to Asia for a climbing trip next week, so he must be somewhat good and have money. Dan, Magnus and I made burritos and they really enjoyed the venison burger in them. They haven't had decent meat in I don't know how long, and they really enjoyed being able to sit under a light at a table and have a proper meal. I was glad to have them.
More on Dan and Magnus on my next post. Dan is leaving today for back home, and I invited Magnus to stay with me in my trailer until I have to go up to South Lake Tahoe for my interview early next week. Should be fun.
(Magnus on the descent from the Happies)

1 comment:

  1. "Bliss" seems to be the perfect title for this post!

    Visuals! We need visuals!

    Happy Trails, forever!
    Cyndi and Stumpy @ RVly Ever After

    ReplyDelete