Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Wonderous International Climber's Festival



         
                I finally started getting on some trips and having some fun once again. I'm going to break each trip into its own post even though the two trips were back to back totaling 22 days.
                It all started about 5 years ago in college when I heard about this climbing festival out in Lander, WY. It was supposed to be this big, five day climbing party with exhibitors, prizes and fun. The International Climber's Festival had such a magnificent ring to it and seemed to have such a mystique about it, plus I had been to Lander on a backpacking trip back in '07 and loved the little town.  I made rough plans to go every year, but something always came up. The world's largest volleyball tournament a couple times over in the cheese head state, "working" in Cali, buying my new home and some other lame ass excuse one year kept me from going. This year I made it a priority to get my ass out there.
                Originally I had thought that I could make enough money before the ICF back in MN to sustain myself for the rest of the year. A late spring and not a whole lot of work made me realize that I had to delay my parting and buy a plane ticket. I called up an old climbing friend Caity, who lives in Denver, and asked if she wanted to go up and experience it. She was on board, along with her sister Jaimie and I was stoked. Ticket bought and bags packed, I jetted out on a Tuesday morning and before I knew it, we were in Lander on Wednesday night about midnight since Caity had to work.
                We set up our tents in the middle of huge cottonwood trees right in the Lander City Park. They let you camp or park there any time for three days with no charge! The rule is overlooked during the climbing festival and I'm planning on seeing if they actually enforce it after my NOLS course. 120V receptacles are in the pavilion for your electronic charging pleasure if your passing through, and clean toilets are right in the parking area. I digress. I would guess there were 50 tents spread out over the property. Not too crowded at all and no one being too rowdy. We were in bed by midnight every night and most others were also.
                Lander is known for its sport climbing up in Sinks Canyon and way up at Wild Iris. Sinks Canyon is called so because the Popo Agie (pronounced Poh-poh Zha) River disappears underground for about a quarter mile and then reappears down the canyon a little farther. Pretty nuts! Most of the climbing is in the sun on the north side of the canyon, but thanks to my newly bought guidebook, I found a crag on the south side and called "Shady Side". I figured that would keep us comfortable and out the 90 degree heat down in the valley. Caity, Jaimie and I climbed 5 routes at "The School" crag before the sun started to hit at us about 3 or so in the afternoon (list of all climbs on trip at the end of the write-up).  We met Zach who was traveling with the "Solid Rock Climbers for Christ" group out of Houston, Texas. They had gone up to Smith Rock in Oregon, over to Squamish in British Columbia and then were hitting the fest up. He was driving himself and going to stay in Lander for a little bit and climb in the Cirque of the Towers with gal. This gal was Christina from Milwaukee/ D.C. She was on a road trip living out of her little Honda Civic. I ended up chatting with her a bit on Friday and climbed with her on Saturday over on the Shady Side once again. We went to the Heavy Metal Rock Band wall, after some vague description in the guidebook telling us to follow faint game trails to find a main trail. We got turned around a bit but finally found our way to the main trail just below the wall. I was set to lead the warm-up climb and we noticed that the rock seemed a bit fragile. Neither of us had our brain bucket with, but decided to stand off to the side and chance it. I didn't break any holds, but she broke a softball size foothold about 30 feet up that came whizzing down. A bit spooky for the "warm-up"! Luckily, the rock on all the other climbs were much better. The other must have a different perception of what is quality and what isn't. We thought the no-star .11a was the best route there and the 2-star .11a was convoluted and garbage. This was also the case over on the .10's. The pocketed dolomite was a bit tough on the fingers since it was a bit sharp due to lack of folks getting on these climbs very often. We did four routes and decided to run down to the nice sandstone in the bottom of the canyon. We decided to do a 2-star, 2 or 3 pitch  5.7 chimney trad climb. We ran down there and found the route. We decided she would lead and I would follow with a backpack with our shoes since there was a walk-off. After a run-out start, a slippery crux, 5.0 top and fighting with a backpack in chimneys (my fault), we both decided that this once again was nowhere near a 2-star route. It was an adventure none-the-less though.
                The festival itself was an awesome time. There were crate staking, rope coiling, table bouldering, cornhole , tug-of-war and a dyno competition. Caity and I lost out in the first round of cornhole due to winds pushing my bag and a lack of practice, we will call it, on her end. I attempted the rope coiling comp and was doing really well until I lost the loops in one hand. The winning time was 23 seconds and I wouldn't have beat it, but wouldn't have been far off I feel. Crate stacking was awesome to watch.  The premise is to stack standard milk crates as high as you can while standing on them the whole time! Women did the best and I think a gal got 19. Lots of balance and concentration involved. Probably the coolest contest I saw was the table bouldering. It was pretty much a standard 6 foot table with metal folding legs, but they put heavy sandbags to hold down the legs and a long custom pad underneath to protect the "boulderers". They had to complete 3 separate actions to win a pair of fresh shoes from Salewa. Competitors had to go around the middle of the table, which wasn't too hard. Then they had to go head first through the legs and under the table. That gave the taller folks a major challenge, but stunted peoples didn't seem to have too hard of a time. The hardest for everyone was to go feet first through the legs, SUPER tough. I think only 2 folks completed all 3 tasks. Some burly little woman and some skinny little dude.
                Tons of stickers were hoarded by yours truly, and I also won a prize pack from Paradox Sports (organization for disabled outdoor adventurers) for donating a couple bucks to them. The only thing I kept was the Patagonia shirt and hat though. I got an Otterbox, but I'm going to take it to REI for in-store credit. I also got a ton of organic bars, but I couldn't fly them back in my carry on, so I decided to throw them to the crowd and score some good karma. A really nice Black Diamond chalk bag was thrown in there too, but I had heard that a guy from Oregon had forgot his, so I traded it to him for a beer. He got a smoking deal, but I got more of a buzz and maybe some more karma.... maybe.
                I signed up for an American Alpine Club membership so I could get rescue insurance in backcountry situations and they have climber friendly health insurance. I also get sweet perks like a pro-deal on gear and free camping down in Joshua Tree, California along with discounted huts around the world.
                One of the coolest things of the festival was Tommy Caldwell's (world class climber) speech during the keynote speakers presentation. He started off by saying that he wasn't sure what he was going to talk about that morning but decided to speak in public for the first time about his kidnapping in Kyrgyzstan back in the early 2000's. The room got dead silent but you could tell that everyone was super stoked. For all the other speakers, there had been a little white noise by people talking lightly. You could hear a pin drop now in a room of 200 people. He went on to talk about how they were getting shot at by rebels when they were 1000 ft up a wall, had to rappel down and got taken. They didn't have any food for 6 days when they were finally forced to hike back to their stuff to try to get supplies. They only had one guard trailing them on 4th class terrain who was scared shitless. Tommy said he pulled him off the cliff and killed him! He was a little shaken after saying that but finished his story of finding safety quite well.  I was super excited to be a part of that speech. He will go down as one of the greatest climbers of all times.
                I took a hands-on clinic up at Wild Iris on Friday dealing with improvised rescue on climbs. It was stuff I had all read before, but it was super helpful to physically tie the knots and go through the processes involved to keep yourself safe while extracting an injured climbing member. There was also a little climbing festival that included Wind and Rattlesnakes; The Birth of a Western Climbing Town. It was an excellent 45 minute film about the climbing history of Lander with great cinematography and narration. It was really cool to see how Lander has become the town it is today, being both a ranching and climbing town with their differing personalities yet coexisting properly.
                Overall I had an excellent time and would definitely make it a priority to go again if I'm not working during it. Cheap, wholesome (minus the beer) fun. I thank Caity and Jaimie for hauling my butt around. I'm also super excited to climb again someday with new friends made.
                For now, it's working my butt off to try to make enough dough to try to get me through until next year. Sorry for the lack of photos. My DSLR wouldn't fit in my carry-on and my phone was dead the whole time... deal with it! I'll get on writing the Montana trip with its stories of up-close grizzles and wildfires! Stay tuned, it should be out in a week or so!
Jaimie right of Killer Cave in Sinks Canyon
                Climbs:  Shady Side crag, The School Wall
·         Sorting Hat Right 5.7
·         Sorting Hat Left 5.10a
·         C'est Fini 5.9
·         Imaginary Fans 5.8/10c
·         Banish Misfortune 5.6/10a
                Shady Side crag, Heavy Metal Rock Band Wall
·         Indian Summer 5.10c
·         George's Last Stand 5.10d
·         Dennis and Jacque's Excellent Adventure 5.11a
·         Variation to D and J 5.11a
                Sandstone Buttress
·         Sentinel Chimney 5.7 two pitch, trad
                                Harvest Moon Wall
·         Firecracker Kid 5.10b
·         Bush Doctor 5.12a (project)
               

No comments:

Post a Comment